Other missions apart from the .C.M.S. in other parts of Africa were also at work in Nigeria. Weleyan Methodist missionary society under Thomas Birch Freeman land at Badagry in 1842, those bodies were the first Christians missionary to establish presence in Nigeria. In 1848, about six years after the Methodist work themselves up in Abeokuta. The first establishment of the Baptish mission at Ijaye was in 1852, three years later in Ogbomosho. A lady marry slessor mission arrived at calabar on 11 September 1875 to join in promoting the activities of the church. The church of Scotland mission arrived at calabar to establish the Presbyterian church in Nigeria in 1846, by Reverend Hope Waddell. From calabar, the mission spread inland along the cross River, up to Ikot Ana and Unwana.
when father Borghero of the society of the African mission (S.M.A.),the evangelical arm of the Roman Catholic Church in Africa, visited Lagos in 1862, he was supervised at the number of returnee West African ex-slaves who had, at some time in their lives, been baptise in the Catholic Church. yet, lagos had no resident priest at the time he was considered as an out station in Quidah in Dahomey. but at the time the Roman Catholic Church in Lagos was making some progress under catechist padre Antonio had been born on sao Tome Island; at the age of ten he was sold into slavery and he was shipped to Brazil. on his emancipation, Antonio return to West Africa settling in Lagos. here he was many age the Roman Catholic Apostle of the Niger. he preached the gospel and won more souls to the Catholic fold, reinforced the faith of other liberated slaves who professed the Catholic doctrine, baptised Children’s, blessed marriage, prayed with the dying, and buried the death. for the Roman Catholic priest to Nigeria, Antonio served as John the Baptist, a forerunner.
in 1868, Father Pierre Bouche arrived at the first resident priest of the Catholic mission in Nigeria. from lagos, they expending, founding a mission at Abeokuta in 1880, and at Onithsa in 1885. in Nigeria, early Christian missionary activities were not confined to the south. as already noted Crowther in 1841 journeyed up to Idah an Egga, presenting Arabic Bibles to the Atta and the Estu Nupe. in 1858, Crowther secured permission from the Atta to opened a station at Igbede, near Lokoja. (it was at Igbede in 1862 that the first Christian baptisms mission took place, conducted by the C.M.S. missionaries-eight Adult with one Child were baptise). at Rabba, in 1857, Crowther met Reverend M. Clark, a Baptise missionary who had traveled overland from Abeokuta. in 1857 Crowther sent Arabic Bible to the Emirs of Ilorin, Bida, and Gwandu and the sultan of Sokoto. he can be readily observed that Crowther met with little success in the North. earlier in 1855, Reverend T.J. Bowen of the southern American baptise mission had made similarly abortive attempt to found a station at Ilorin. the only success story of the Christian missionaries in the North at the time was that of Walter Miller who was able to establish a C.M.S. mission at Zaria in 1889.
generally, the Christian missionaries met with quite some hostility or at best lukewarmness in the North. in 1890, the C.M.S. Sudan party under Bishop Tugwell was unable to get the Emir of Kano’s approval for entry into the City. on their entry, the Emir gave them three days to quite the city. (the party had as its goal the conversion of the North to Christianity). this reception of Christian into the North can be largely explained by the fact that Islam was ready institutionalized in the area. to yield to conversion by Christians was an anathema to the Muslim. Beside, the Emirs were apprehensive of the political intention of the white Kafirs.
William Colenso arrived in December 1834 to work as a printer and missionary. William and Elizabeth Fairburn Colenso worked at the mission station at Waitangi (Ahuriri, Napier) from 1844, until William Colenso was dismissed from the CMS in 1852 Elizabeth continued to work for the CMS as a teacher. In the 1860’s she work on the manuscripts of the translation of the Bible into a Māori, including correcting proofs and suggesting alternative translations.
Rev Octavius Hadfield, arrived in December 1838 and was ordained a minister at Paihia on 6 January 1839, and in November of that year he travelled to Otaki with Henry Williams, where he established a mission station.
cheap doxycycline, cheap zithromax. Thomas Kendall arrived on the Active on 22 December 1814. He was dismissed from the CMS in August 1822.
Rev Robert Maunsell, arrived in 1835 and he was sent to established the Manukau mission station at Port Waikato in the same year. He later worked with William Williams on the translation of the Bible. Maunsell worked on the Old Testament, portions of which were published in 1840 with the full translation completed in 1857. He became a leading scholar of the Māori language.
William Gilbert Puckey arrived with his parents William and Margery Puckey in 1919, then joined the CMS in 1821. He helped built, then served as the mate of the 55 foot schooner, the Herald. He went to Sydney with his parents in 1826 then returned to the Bay of Islands the following year. He and Joseph Matthews established a mission station at Kaitaia in 1832/34. As he had become fluent in the language since arriving as a boy of 14, he was a useful translator for the CMS mission, including collaborating with William Williams on the translation of the New Testament in 1837 and its revision in 1844.
Rev. Richard Taylor, arrived in 1839. He succeeded William Williams as principal of the Waimate Boys’ School in September 1839 and remained there into the 1840s. The Rev. Taylor moved to join the mission station at Wanganui in 1842.
Rev. Henry Williams and Marianne Williams arrived in the Bay of Islands in 1823. Henry Williams was appointed as the leader of the CMS mission in New Zealand. express buy pharma. In 1844, Williams was installed as Archdeacon of Waimate in the diocese centred on the Waimate Mission.
Rev. William Williams and Jane Williams arrived in the Bay of Islands in 1826. William Williams led the CMS missionaries in translating the Bible into Māori and he also published an early dictionary and grammar of the Māori language. Williams was appointed Archdeacon of the East Cape diocese and later as the first Bishop of Waiapu.